Monday, October 29, 2007

uncle sam, in memory

it is so easy to forget and take for granted what is always around. today, once again i have learned that we should always appreciate what we have, to cherish and treasure, as we never know when they will be lost, never to return, leaving only regret, grief and an aching emptiness. you never truly feel, how much something means to you, till its gone.


memories of when he used to hum, teach me rhymes, telling stories and stealing ice-cream for me keeps replaying over and over. memories i will cherish. i regret to say, that i haven't had the chance to tell him how much he meant to me. to say thank you.

he wasn't of family, yet he might as well have been.
uncle sam, this is for you:

u have always been there
to catch me when i fall
to make me laugh when i sulk
never once leaving me out
though i wasn't of family

for being my partner-in-crime
buying ice-cream, and small gifts
persuading aunt june,
that breaking the porcelain doll
wasn't my fault

taking me out
to the goddamn far park
keeping pace with my running feet
though u could barely walk smoothly
never once complaining

teaching me to play chess
with the patience of a saint
sometimes letting me win
when im down
just to cheer me up

being my babysitter
annoying as i was
though u didn't have to
allowing me to bug you
even while watching those chinese movies
that you enjoy so much

i regret
not taking the time
to talk more when im there
for sometimes throwing tantrums
i knew i was wrong
yet never thought to apologize
im truly sorry

i know you have suffered
not truly happy
after aunt june passed away
because unlike others of your time
you married out of love

yet you kept it locked inside
never once making us worry
only caring about others

uncle sam,

thank you for everything
without you, i wouldn't be who i am today

thank you
for saying you're proud of me
even though my results sux
thank you
for supporting what i want to do
thank you
just for being there
when i need you

no matter what. you'll always be family

rest in peace
god bless you

No comments: